Saturday 6 September 2014

Day 4 – Saturday, September 6, 2014

Whereas yesterday was the hottest day of the summer, today it was cloudy, then fine rain, then heavy rain.  Dean and I did not opt for our rain coats and pants but wiser Pauline did.  Whereas my hiking boots got wet, Pauline’s rainproof running shoes didn’t.  This afternoon, walk done, Dean has a clothesline hanging across our bedroom and our clothes are hanging to dry.

We got back to our start point at 9:15. Expected walk time for 18.6 kms was estimated at 3 hours and 45 minutes.  The first 7.4 kms was along route 133 with traffic allowed to move from 70 to 90 kms/hr.  I’ve gotten into the habit of having my iphone timer ring every 15 minutes to remind Pauline and I to take a sip of water.  The vehicles whizzing by made it too noisy for Pauline to hear me call ahead to her.

I realize that taking photos slows me down as Pauline keeps walking.  She pulls me along.  Today, I resolved to take fewer photos.  The weather cooperated and made me put my camera inside my back pack and pull out the rain shield to cover the back pack.  So in the end, we were 5 minutes ahead of anticipated time. We finished our walk at 2:05 pm.

Pauline and I were very grateful that Dean was along when it was time to switch off highway 133. Without him, we would have missed the turn off.  On our map, it looked like the road just changed names. Rang St. Louis was a country road and very quiet.  We sure appreciated the silence! And being able to hear the birds, the crickets and grasshoppers!

It wasn’t raining yet when we stopped in at la ferme Reid. We really just wanted to pee.  It was a beautiful place with gorgeous vegetables and fruits and fragrant homemade pies. We chose carrots in a variety of colours, peaches and daily-made Cheddar curds. 



While Dean was moving my vehicle, Pauline and I admired the poultry including un dindon et une dinde blancs, un âne, poules et canards. Dean had moved the RAV4 4 kms and walked back 3.  We were still at the farm, so he got to see the donkey.

Do you want to know what photos I took?  There was a sign advertising a fresh egg for sale.  I don’t know why we didn’t stop as I think we could have handled one egg. 



I also take photos of dead creatures.  I photographed the first dead Leopard frog I saw.  Pauline is getting used to it and pointed out une tourterelle triste. Très triste, mais certainement pas aussi triste que son copain.  


I took a photo of Pauline by the sign for the town Henryville.  Hope her Henry is not to sad as she spends the month walking with Dean and I. 

Anyway, the rain kept me in the moment.  Also breath to where the pain is and eventually the pain sensors have enough and shut off.  It is not so bad.  Good thing we stop around 20 kms., that we keep moving after our walk is done.  I wake up good as new in the morning_so far.

I found the address and phone number of my cousine Thérèse  in St. Jean sur Richelieu thanks to her brother Yvon on Facebook!  I will visit her tonight after supper. 




We are usually not too hungry while we are walking.  I don’t know if it was the rain today but we are starving.

BTW, is cattail edible?




Addition Oct. 23, 2014:




I can almost see this native doll breathing deeply the fragrance of the dried grass.



No comments:

Post a Comment