Tuesday 23 September 2014

Day 21 - Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Before we leave camp in the morning, Dean has already been to the Internet Station:



Here we are ready to set off for the day's walk.


Two hundred miles or 180 km walked so far.  Maybe that's why we are starting to ache.  In my case, both my feet are having issues. The good thing that while the foot hurts, pain is not felt elsewhere.  I had no trouble carrying my small back pack today.

Met several interesting women today.  Camille, named after her grandfather, at our campsite.

One woman whose name I did not get but who descends from Esther Wheelwright if I remember her name correctly.  Esther was also captured during the French and Indian wars and taken to Quebec.  She became an abbess at a nunnery. There was a made-for-tv movie made about her.



At the end of the walk, I met Barbara Lane a potter, and owner of Earthstar Pottery.  She represents 24 artist-potters.



She showed us an earthstar. It is a mushroom.  She collected this one from Virginia where she herself originated.

Barbara offered us water, but we were fine.  Then she checked if I had moleskins.  I didn't and I sure could use one with my newly-growing blister.  She gave me the package and a pair of scissors.  Thank you Barbara!



When I told Barbara the story of my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother, she said that I was "repatriating" my ancestor.  I hadn't thought of it in those words before.  Thanks again, Barbara.

I did see another Monarch, another dragonfly around noon and back at our campsite, a moth.  A good day.

Additions while on day off (Sept. 26)

I have noticed in Vermont and in New Hampshire, these green turtles placed along the street where children walk to school.  A great idea to reming drivers to slow down!


Photo taken at third kilometre of our walk: native doll on the stump of a venerable old tree on the outskirts of a town.  (Norwich, Vt? Need to check.)









2 comments:

  1. So inspired as to how you are making the most of every experience and encounter with local folks, nature, reflections of the experience of your ancestor etc......not surprised though. Enjoying this and Dean's blog very much. Hugs to the three of you. :-)
    Ronna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ronna. I will pass on the hug. I appreciate knowing you are enjoying our experience vicariously.

    Fleur-Ange xox

    ReplyDelete