Saturday 11 October 2014

Day 34 – October 6, 2014 – Second post

I’m grateful that Dean made note of my comments re what I learned during this journey, as I drove the three of us home from Richfield Springs, NY. My apologies if there is a repeat from the previous post as it is October 11th as I write this and I have a nasty cold (which manifested itself suddenly as I went to bed our first night home!)

40. I learned that when there is a (USA) road sign indicating an upcoming exit, it comes immediately after the sign.

41. I learned how runners can run while in pain.  The pain sensors shut down after 15 minutes or so.  The only problem is they kick in again after a brief stop.

42. I practiced acknowledging the pain by breathing to the area and it worked resolving the pain.

43. I read the 7 suggestions that Janet Heartson, shaman and B&B hostess in Barnet, VT lists in her book, Extraordinary Moments in an Ordinary Life, p. 138, “Lessons in Dealing with Chronic Pain”.  “Cry” is the 7th suggestion.  (For any of you wanting to know more, send me an email at fmwlamothe@gmail.com

44. “Our bodies are motion detectors!” This came to me as I drove and was a real insight.  (I think I mentioned it in the first 39 things I’ve learned.  If I am correct, the explanation will be there.)

45. When walking for a long duration, songs arrive in your head, without use of radios or other technology.  (I paid attention to these and looked for the songs to post on Facebook.) Songs included Wade in the Water (when did I learn this one?), Blackbird.  Some songs came after the walk: I have been dreaming I am walking. The song was I’m Never Coming Home.  I also had children’s nursery rhymes repeat in my mind e.g. Ma p’tite vache a mal aux pattes. (Were my own legs aching at the time?!)

46. I learned that Pauline came up with a song she was familiar with and that she had come to associate with me.  Merci Pauline Bernard for the gift of this song! Chante là ta chanson!

47. By using the voice messager on my iphone, I realized how much time I spent thinking in French. The fact that Pauline was with me probably was a significant factor.

48. Individuals organize differently.  We have organizational preferences.  I am grateful for seeing this article in an old magazine at the laundrymat in St. Johnsbury, VT. It is an important realization and we should include and respect this fact about others who are not like us.



49. One question I had before setting out on this journey was “What did they eat?” I’ve learned that both our stomach and our bowels temporarily shut down during this arduous task. (This also happens when giving birth.) I am awed by the amazing abilities of our bodies!

50. Another question was “Who witnessed this?” We walked the whole length of Vermont from North to South.  Before leaving Vermont by car, we stopped to see rescue animals and old stuffed animals of the area at the 100 mile view close to the Molly Stark State Park.  This is information I needed to know.



51. I wanted to know who Molly Stark was, who had the rare honour of having a state park named after her.  The info that follows was not on the panel by the 100-mile scenic view!

“Elizabeth ‘Molly’ Paige Stark was…strong willed and social, and didn’t bow to her husband’s demands. She was instrumental to the American success at the Battle of Bennington; afther the General departed west from New Hampshire, Molly recruited more men for the New Hampshire Militia. She even converted her homestead barn into a hospital to care for wounded from both sides. The approximate westward routh that Stark and his volunteers followed is commemorated by the Molly Stark Trail Scenic Byway.” From Molly Stark State Park Map & Guide pamphlet (Wilmington,VT)



52. I learned from my friend and walking companion, Pauline, to continue to communicate privately with my loved ones, my family.  Blogging and Facebook, public communication modes, are no substitute for personal communication.  Merci Pauline!

53. Walking in memory of an ancestress who was born 314 years ago, taught me that our family Tree is alive and well.  I dare say from roots to tree top!  (I am grateful that Dean taught me how to use voice messaging on my iphone so that this thought was not lost.

54 a. Not sure what I was saying when Dean wrote “no paint to preserve.”  Only thing I can think of is that I did not have my journal, paints and watercolours with me when came the time to spend time at the Deerfield cemetery to draw the burial mound.  That experience taught me to go with the flow.  So instead, I stood for an hour or so on the steps of the Nims’ house, under cover from the rain.  That proved to be the best place for me to be, to consider what Abigail remembered and how she and her father each felt at the time of the captivity.

54 b. Dean reminded me what I meant.  The old houses in Deerfield were built before there was paint.  It seems they did not need paint to be preserved.  They fared well in their weather-worn state.

I did not take a photo of the unpainted houses in Deerfield.  I do have one of one side of the building from our B&B in Barnet.  It had been an old creamery.






55. I learned that there is no age limit to enjoy butterflies.



1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading Dean's blog, and seeing his photos, as a companion piece to yours. Having both perspectives has made the story even more than the sum of two parts, giving it the same depth as a scene viewed with both eyes that was first observed with one eye covered. I admire the energy, imagination and effort, both in making this journey, and in making the most of it. Lois

    ReplyDelete